China features in the report as a Tier 1 Country ‘- a Country of Particular Concern’.
RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE U.S. GOVERNMENT INCLUDE:
- Call on the Chinese government to cease labeling Falun Gong as a cult and lift the ban on its practice;
- Press for at the highest levels and work to secure the unconditional release of prisoners of conscience and religious freedom advocates, and press the Chinese government to treat prisoners humanely and allow them access to family, human rights monitors, lawyers, and adequate medical care from independent health care professionals, and the ability to practice their faith;
- Press the Chinese government to abide by its commitments under the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, and also independently investigate reports of torture among individuals detained or imprisoned, including reports of organ harvesting;
- Send regular Congressional delegations focused on religious freedom and related human rights to China and request to visit areas deeply impacted by the government’s severe religious freedom abuses, such as Tibet, Xinjiang, and Zhejiang Province;
- Advocate on behalf of individual prisoners of conscience and persons whom the Chinese government has detained or disappeared, as well as their family members.